Are you moving into a new place and need to take measurements of your new furniture in order to know that they fit? Or perhaps you might just want to measure you kid’s or friend’s height for the sake of doing it?
Long gone are the days where you’ll be searching for a measuring tape for that as you can now use you iPhone to perform those tasks! Applicable to those iPhones that run on iOS 12 and above, the Measure app allows you to use augmented reality (AR) to measure lines or subject merely with the back camera of your phone.
However, it is important to know that the Measure app only works on iPhone models that support the ARKit; in short, it only works with the iPhone SE, iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S plus and after to utilize the new software.
Once upgraded to iOS 12, all you have to do is to download it from the app store free of charge if you don’t have it pre-installed.
So how do you measure an object in the Measure app? Since it uses the back camera to measure, the more light the better.
1) Launch the app (obviously)
2) You’ll be prompted to move your phone around so that your camera recognizes its surroundings.
3) Move the white dot to the starting point of object you want measure, it will likely snap itself to place as it recognizes corners on its own.
4) Tap the + button to select a starting point of measurement.
5) Tap the + again to select your end point of measurement
6) Take a step back to look at your final measurements, repeat when necessary!